Weebly is a user friendly, robust and feature-rich website building tool. While it doesn’t offer the power and flexibility of a dedicated Content Management System (CMS) like WordPress or Joomla, it is still ideal for small businesses, personal websites and small eCommerce stores. It’s possible to use Weebly to build very professional looking sites without knowing how to code or use dedicated Web design software.
Weebly currently powers more than 20 million websites, and it’s estimated that Weebly is the framework behind around 2% of the websites on Internet. This is an impressive figure, and shows that many people trust the platform to provide their Web presence.
What really sets Weebly apart from other hosted website builders is that you can use a lot of Weebly’s features for free. You don’t have to pay a single cent upfront to use Weebly.
Why use Weebly to build your website?
There are several good reasons why people chose Weebly to power their sites. Consider the following:
- Weebly has a really simple drag and drop interface: You really don’t need to understand any code to build an attractive Weebly website. Furthermore, the interface is very intuitive and easy to use.
- Weebly is either free or very inexpensive: Weebly don’t pressure you to upgrade to their paid plans. However, for those that need them they provide very good value. Best of all, you can try Weebly out without handing over any credit card details, and carry on using the free service for as long as it meets your requirements.
- Weebly boasts a huge array of templates: There are hundreds of free templates (themes) for Weebly websites, and there are more being added to the service all the time. If you do have some knowledge of HTML and / or CSS, the code is accessible so you can further customise them to your requirements.
- Separate Web hosting is not required: You don’t need a separate Web hosting account to operate a Weebly site, as your website is hosted on Weebly’s servers. This eliminates the need for you to to know about Web hosting and means you have one less account to manage.
With all of this is mind, Weebly really is a good choice if you want to get a simple but attractive website up and running, whilst keeping things really easy to manage.
Signing up to Weebly is very straightforward. Here we will guide you through the whole process:
Getting Started with Weebly
1. Go to the Weebly website by clicking this link. The Weebly website will open in a new window or tab so you can continue to refer back to this tutorial.
2. Begin by signing up. We recommend you sign up using a separate account rather than linking to Facebook. The latter may seem like an easier option, but who’s to say you might not prefer to keep things separate in the future?
As such, fill in your name, email address and desired password, and click the orange “sign up” button.
3. You will now be taken straight to Weebly’s theme selection screen – we told you it would be easy! Here you can scroll through all of Weebly’s available templates.
The choices can feel a little bewildering at first, so you may find it helps to flick through the “styles” and “colors” menus to help you choose a suitable look for your site.
4. Once you find a theme you like, click on it, and you will be given the ability to tweak the exact colour scheme (as shown in the screenshot below).
For the purposes of the tutorial, we’ve gone for a bold, corporate-looking theme, but you can choose whatever you like – it shouldn’t affect your understanding of this guide. Click the orange “choose” button when you are sure of your selection.
5. With your theme chosen, you will be asked to choose a domain name for your site. For the purposes of this guide, we are going to choose the first option: “a subdomain of Weebly.” However, we would suggest that you register a domain of your own if you want your site to look truly professional. Choosing the second option will allow you to buy a proper Web domain.
6. Click “Continue” when you are done, and you will be given the opportunity to watch a short introductory video – we recommend doing so. Once you’re finished, you will be presented with Weebly’s browser-based page editor.
Congratulations! You have now created your Weebly account and are on your way to creating a professional looking website in just a few hours.
If you wish to go into more detail, check out our comprehensive tutorial on building a Weebly website.