Textpattern is a minimalist Content Management System (CMS) that’s a valid alternative to more well-known solutions such as WordPress and Joomla.
Textpattern can seem a little difficult to use at first, due to its use of tags and codes, but the online documentation is of a high quality, which eases the learning curve.
One good thing about Textpattern is that it is very lightweight in design. Thanks to this, you can build a Textpattern-powered website with hundreds of pages, without slowing down your Web hosting server. It’s therefore a good fit for sites with lots of content.
Also worthy of note is the fact that Textpattern is completely free and open-source.
In this article, we are going to guide you through the basic process of installing Textpattern.
What You Need
Before you install Textpattern, you will need a domain name and Web hosting service, so your site has somewhere to “live.”
If you have yet to arrange all of this, check out our step by step tutorial on how to register your own domain and hosting account at HostGator. The guide will open on a new tab so that you can come back to this tutorial easily afterwards.
For the purposes of this tutorial, we are working on the assumption that you are using HostGator for hosting services. If you are not, don’t worry. HostGator uses cPanel, which is the most popular Web hosting control panel in the world. Many other Web hosting services use it too, so there is every chance that you’ll still be able to follow this guide.
1. Go to your cPanel link, and login using the admin username and password provided by your hosting company. You will find this information in an email that your hosting provider will have sent you after registration.
Even though the wealth of cPanel options can seem initially daunting to novices, it is actually very easy to use. Stay tuned on Make a Website for a comprehensive tutorial on cPanel that will follow soon.
2. Locate the “Software/Services” group of icons on the right. You will have to scroll down a fair way to find it.
3. Look for QuickInstall and Fantastico De Luxe, both of which are excellent automated installers for Web applications. The only trouble is that some applications available on QuickInstall aren’t available via Fantastico De Luxe, and vice versa.
At HostGator, the most modern applications seem to all be available via the QuickInstall option – and that is where you will find Textpattern.
3. Click on the Textpattern option. You will find it under CMS Software on the left navigation menu. Next, click “Continue.”
4. Assuming that your domain is correctly configured within your hosting account, you will see it in the drop down list. Ensure the correct domain is selected.
The blank field afterwards allows you to install Textpattern into a subdirectory of your domain (such as www.yourdomain.com/textpattern). However, you will probably want people to arrive directly at your Textpattern-powered website as soon as they arrive at your domain – so the chances are that you will want to leave this field blank.
5. Leave the “Enable Auto Upgrades” box checked, as this will help you to keep your site up to date and secure. Then, fill in the rest of the information, making sure you provide a valid email address. Finally, click “Install Now.”
6. The install may take a few minutes to complete. Afterwards, the QuickInstall interface will show you the URL to access your Textpattern administration interface, and confirm your admin username and password. You should also receive an email containing all of this information.
If you’ve installed Textpattern very shortly after arranging your registration and hosting, and receive a “page not found” error when you try to access the site, don’t be alarmed. Your domain registration needs time to propagate across all the global DNS servers. The process can take anything from few hours to 48 hours. If you want to learn more about this, click on this link.
Once you can access the Textpattern admin interface, you just need to key in your username and password, and you will see the Textpattern Dashboard.
You can now begin to configure your Textpattern website.